Lokku - Engineering Manager
What is this all about?
In 2006 we launched Nestoria
millions of people in seven countries use Nestoria to find their next
home. We have the soul of a start-up, but Lokku is moving to the
next phase. We need new senior talent to bolster our team, bring fresh
thinking, and help us grow.
We are hoping to hire an experienced Engineering Manager immediately.
Please read the general info about us and our
Who should apply?
Please apply if:
- you have experience managing teams of engineers
- you have experience managing complex engineering projects
- you can communicate fluently in English. Ideally you are fluent in at least one other major language.
- you are excited by diverse challenges
What are we looking for?
- you are comfortable working with remote colleagues
- you are comfortable with occasional travel
- you hate meetings
- you are able to commit for at least the next two years
- you think internationally
- you look forward to speaking at conferences and representing Lokku.
In addition we highly value the following personality traits:
- you are focused
- you are analytical
- you are pragmatic
- you seek responsibility
- you are humble
- you are aggressive
- you are fun to sit next to in an office
You need to be great with:
- the LAMP stack
- scaling web applications
- building for the long term
- automated testing
- legacy code
bonus points if you have experience with
- geodata and geo information systems (especially OpenStreetMap)
What will the Engineering Manager do?
A typical month might include:
- management of London-based engineers. Some of these engineers will
be full time employees that have been with Lokku for years. Others will be
interns, consultants, or contractors that will be with Lokku for only
- management of a remote outsourcing team.
- researching and selecting vendors, software packages, or hardware.
- solving a particularly nasty or mysterious bug or system issue.
- designing software or system architecture and writing specifications.
- working with other staff to decide now to build and change our
products and how to build and change our company.
Who do we think would be a good match for this role?
- You are currently managing a team of engineers at a big internet brand.
You work with great people on a product used by millions, but the focus of
your team is narrow. You want to take on new challenges by working
on all parts of a complete product.
- You are start-up junkie. Your most recent adventure did not work or
(better yet) you sold it and are ready to move on. You want to get back
into a small, established team and get over the finish line again.
- You are a veteran engineering manager and you now manage a team of
managers. You want a new challenge that gets you closer to the ones and
Who should NOT apply?
Please do not apply if:
- you are looking for a boring 9 to 5 job.
- you can not work full time.
- you are not based in London or you are not willing to relocate to
Our policy is to pay above market rates for above market people. We offer
ownership in the company through a tax-efficient stock option scheme.
One final point.
We are 4 years old, but this is not a Big Company. There is no IT guy.
There is no office manager. You should see this as a good thing, otherwise
you are probably not right for us. We have BIG goals, but we will do our
best to stay "small".
Okay, I am interested. What is the process from here?
Please follow the instructions on our main jobs page
. We look forward to hearing from you.
Last Updated: Thu 4 Nov 2010 16:21:43 GMT